Jing Shan's History
The story of Jing Shan Primary School began in 1945, when it was established as a Chinese-medium school in Cheng Sua Lai. It was founded by local Chinese businessmen and members of the rural community here to provide education to children living in this area. Named Cheng San School at ﬁrst, it was later called Chin San School, which means “Tranquil Hill” instead of the original “Green Hill”. The school was located at the present-day Serangoon Gardens Estate before moving to 502 Cheng San Road when the land was acquired in the 1950s to develop the estate.
The Kampong Spirit
1965 to 1974Chin San School had been re-located to the present Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3. Prior to urbanization, before the setting up of Ang Mo Kio New Town, a huge rubber plantation occupied this area. Many rubber tappers and labourers supplemented their livelihood with pig and poultry farming or vegetable gardening.
Though life in the kampong (Malay for “village”) was not as comfortable as life in the city today, those who had been through the kampong era would agree that they enjoyed growing up in the kampong. Life might have been difficult, but the spirit of the community was strong.